On our wedding night Joel and I made a sacrifice. Joel gave up his side of the bed and I gave up my side of the bed. In other words, because we were in the midst of nearly disgustingly happy love, I decided to change sides of the bed because I thought the right side was his and he gave up the left side for me. (Neither of us talked about it because we thought we were being nice and it wasn't a big deal.) It didn't come out for months what we had done for each other. As I have heard recently, the difference between a wonderfully cute quirk of a spouse and a really annoying issue is about 6 months. This was true of this issue with our sides of the bed.
Now in my opinion, in our marriage when one of us does something the other doesn't notice we like to point it out for recognition. For example, "did you see I took out the garbage?" "doesn't the room look nice, I vacuumed?" and "doesn't Jonah's hair look good, we got his hair cut?"
So after being married for a year, the phrase "well I gave up my side of the bed for you" crept into a conversation and the truth of our sacrifices came out. However, neither of us wanted to let go of our martyrhood to switch sides. Truth be told, we had become comfortable with the side we were on and didn't want to change.
Well, when Joel had his surgery we decided to try switching sides for multiple reasons: air flow in the room, closer to the computer and tv, etc. It was horrible!! I don't think I slept at all the first night. I kept rolling into Joel when I thought I was rolling to the edge and at one point I had to get out of bed for the kids and ended up hitting the wall because I didn't know where I was (in the middle of the night getting up with the kids is pretty close to sleep walking).
It took three days before we switched back. Marriage is about sacrifice and knowing yourself well enough to admit you are wrong.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.