I am glad I have had years of training in getting up in the middle of the night with babies and you can bet that I have NEVER said that before. Joel needs to take meds at 2am and 3am. We are going to work on lengthening his pain pill intake tomorrow!!!
He is doing really well just sleeping a lot. Today he spent some time sleeping with the kids playing wii in the same room. I tried to usher them out quietly and he said he was just glad to have them around and he didn't mind the noise. Hopefully, that feeling continues.
Everything else is going well. Jonah had baseball practice tonight and we were planning to skip it since Joel just arrived home. However, after seeing how well Joel was doing and that fact that Joel's dad could be with him about 45 minutes after we planned to leave, Joel and I decided the kids and I should go. Well 2 minutes away, I turned around and came back feeling like a mom who just left her baby with a sitter for this first time. I did what I did when I left Jonah for the first time, I called my support staff. As a mommy, I usually call my mom but this is different so I called Chiari Care Center (Joel's surgeon's office). Can you believe they are closed on Friday afternoon at 4:30pm? I couldn't and the women from the answering service had no idea if I could leave my husband who is three days out of brain surgery alone. She asked me if she should page the on-call doctor. I said "no".
Who to call next? Tanya the nurse from Aurora Medical Center is who. That poor nurse had no idea what she was getting into having Joel as a patient. Or should I say, Joel's wife as a caregiver. Now I understand why they don't have their last names on their name tags. They print their first names twice which seemed a little weird (Joel, right out of surgery, asked one of his nurses if her name was "Kerry Kerry." She of course answered "no."). Now I know it is security issue to keep crazy people like me from called their houses!
So after talking to my favorite nurse, Tanya, I, once again, left for baseball feeling much more confident that everything would be fine. Yes, we were late and yes, he was fine.
After baseball we attended the Good Friday service at MPB. About a half and hour in, I was thinking, we had done too much with baseball and church. Then we piled in the car and Jonah exclaims "Mommy, that was sooooo cool!!" That one comment made the whole situation so much better.
Tomorrow we have planned to die Easter eggs. I will keep a tally of how many we crack. Josiah uses the plastic play eggs as hockey pucks. Maybe this year will decorate a few like "zipper-heads."
That's my godson! Have fun decorating eggs today!
ReplyDelete